The New Jersey Volunteers
The New Jersey Volunteers, also known as Jersey Volunteers, “Skinners“, Skinner’s Corps, and Skinner’s Greens (due to their green wool uniform coats), were a British provincial military unit of Loyalists, raised for service by Cortlandt Skinner, during the American Revolutionary War.
Regiment formed in Province of New York
In 1776, American loyalist soldiers, formed the New Jersey Volunteers, which was raised in Province of New York, first, as three battalions and eventually as six, of 500 men each.
The New Jersey Volunteers saw their first combat at the battle of Long Island, during the British New York campaign offensive and following the defeat and flight, of the Patriot forces, was assigned to the initial British garrison, of the occupation army, in New York City.
Brigadier General Cortlandt Skinner conducted regular operations, in the region north of New York City, in Westchester County between the Morrisania and the Croton Rivers, which was known as the “Neutral Ground”. Lawlessness and guerrilla warfare occurred between Skinner’s “Skinners” maraudres and their rivals, the British Loyalist Raiders, DeLancey’s “Cowboys” who both stole cattle and looted and gathered military intelligence in the New York countryside.
One battalion, of “Skinner’s Greens”, another nickname, for the loyalist New Jersey Volunteers, because of their green, wool, uniform coats, was later sent to East Florida assisting in the capture of Savannah, others served in the Battle of Eutaw Springs and Kings Mountain with a detachment participating in the siege of Yorktown.
On September 6, 1781, the 4th Battery of the New Jersey Volunteers, took part in the raid, on New London, Connecticut commanded by Brigadier General Benedict Arnold and fought at the Battle of Groton Heights.
Regiment disbanded and resettled in British Canada
In 1783 the New Jersey Volunteers regiment disbanded after the British lost the war and resettled in New Brunswick, Canada.